Model business processes with Business Process Model and Notation
In this course you will learn how to use Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN) in Enterprise Architect and how the implementation of BPMN differs from other process description languages. BPMN is a graphical specification language standardized by the Object Management Group (OMG) since 2005 and used in (business) informatics and process management. It provides symbols with which technical, methodological and IT specialists can model and document business processes and workflows.
To facilitate the introduction to the Enterprise Architect tool, this training is offered in a blended learning format:
- eLearning: The basics can be completed independent of time and location in self-study via our learning platform – so all participants have the same prior knowledge. The content currently comprises approx. 6 hours and is summarized here.
- Live training: This is followed by the 3-day moderated online training from 9am to 4pm each day.
This training is primarily aimed at process owners, managers, stakeholders, analysts and engineers, but also at software developers and IT professionals who want to gain initial experience with BPMN and its application in Enterprise Architect.
If you are already working or have worked with BPMN or Enterprise Architect, this course will help you to deepen and extend this knowledge.
Understand BPMN: You know the symbols of BPMN and their meanings and you are able to correctly interpret each diagram.
Apply BPMN: You know the main concepts of BPMN and in which situations they are appropriate. You will be able to describe complex business processes and document workflows, as well as develop an end-to-end process model.
Use Enterprise Architect: You know the basic structure of Enterprise Architect and how to use it to create and modify models. You are familiar with the most important tips and tricks for working with BPMN models.
The training also provides answers to the following questions:
- What added value does BPMN provide?
- What basic language concepts does BPMN offer?
- Which representation type is suitable for which purpose?
- What structure should my model have when using BPMN in Enterprise Architect?
- How do I create strategic process models with BPMN?
- How do I create operational process models with BPMN?
- How do I use BPMN profitably with Enterprise Architect?
In modelling, in addition to the modelling language, we need a tool – the Enterprise Architect tool – to be productive, as well as a method to properly use the language with the tool. Experience helps to work efficiently and, above all, effectively.
Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN) is a specific, process-oriented language that can be used to document business processes and workflows and describe them at different levels as strategic, operational and technical process models. In this course, we focus on using the language to create strategic and operational process models.
After the course you will know the basic concepts of BPMN and be able to use them to:
- Represent the flow of a single process.
- Design process paths with gateways.
- Define responsibilities in process execution.
- Respond to or create events in a process flow.
- Make the process flow more informative and clearer with special tasks.
- Use sub-processes to encapsulate complexity and promote modularization.
- Represent the cooperation (collaboration) of several processes or of a process with external process participants and to document their message exchange.
- Add data aspects to a process representation.
- Enrich a process description with additional information (artifacts).
- Overview of further representation possibilities of processes (choreographies, conversations).
Enterprise Architect is a modelling platform that can be used in a variety of ways. In this course, we will provide you with a basic understanding of how to use Enterprise Architect for process modelling.
After the course you will know:
- The basic structure of Enterprise Architect
- The most important settings and configurations
- The difference between a model and a diagram
- The options for navigating between process models
- Basics of teamwork
- Basics of versioning using Baseline
- Possibilities of document generation
- How to use BPMN beneficially with Enterprise Architect
BPMN itself does not contain a method. In order to be able to answer the essential questions with a BPMN process model, it is purposeful to think about the organization of the model, its structure and the procedure for modelling.
In this course, you will learn how to use the various concepts and representation options of BPMN as well as the possibilities of Enterprise Architect in order to be able to describe the process landscapes in your company in a holistic and profitable way.
Further courses deepen and extend your knowledge of methods.
In this course, we share with you our experience from over 20 years of BPMN trainings with Enterprise Architect with tips and tricks.
A basic understanding as well as experience with process descriptions are helpful, but not a prerequisite.
All details on the technical requirements for this training, such as the hardware and software needed, Enterprise Architect versions or licenses, and the Moodle learning platform are listed here.
- 30th of January – 01st of February, 2024 (Presentation language: English)
- 23rd – 25th of April, 2024 (Presentation language: German)
- 25th – 27th of June, 2024 (Presentation language: English)
You might also be interested in these trainings
- Generating documents with Enterprise Architect
- Data modelling with Enterprise Architect
- Extend Enterprise Architect with Automation Interface